In re: Vande Mataram
Post independence, the government of India had, in consultation with some Muslim religious experts, approved a version of Vande Mataram without certain stanzas which in the view of those experts, Muslims could not sing.
The RSS and its supporters have always insisted that everyone sing the complete song & the present government is trying to implement that worldview.
Many Muslims however never agreed to sing even the previously approved version of that song.
I find both views - that of the RSS/BJP & of many Muslims to be rigid,
That said, NOT singing Vande Mataram - whether the previously approved version OR the present version is NOT unpatriotic.
In any case while I dislike unpatriotic people, even if it is to be assumed for the sake of arguments that it is unpatriotic, I refuse to accept that being unpatriotic is a crime OR a sustainable ground to discriminate directly or indirectly against someone.
PS: I generally neither sing the national anthem NOR Vande Mataram .
I do NOT even stand up for them unless the surroundings are such that I feel the need to.
However I don't have an issue singing &/or standing up for them.
These are my choices and I am entitled to them.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home