Sunday, May 24, 2026

In re: The Delhi Gymkhana Club

I am glad that the Government of India has initiated reentry proceedings with respect to the Delhi Gymkhana Club.

This should be done to all such Clubs. Such clubs are not just about imperialism – which I do not really have a problem with. They are actually about influence within a socialist society.

A better model is to buy land at commercial rates, build a club and sell memberships - that's what the free market demands.

I could have become a member of a similar club in Mumbai against a payment of a sum of money which we could have arranged - touch wood. I chose not to. One reason was that being a permanent resident of Delhi who rarely visits Mumbai, it made no sense to spend that much money. However it also did not appeal to my world view.

As far as the Delhi Gymkhana Club is concerned, I am not a member. However I have been there many times. The food is ordinary – less than ordinary. I do not consume alcohol - but I have seen that it is served in the same way as it is at low rent PSOI/CSOI type clubs. My visits to this club were essentially ordinary experiences.

I respect people who are members of places like the Taj Chambers and Belvedere at Oberoi properties rather than people who are members of such clubs. I cannot afford to be a member of the Taj Chambers and Belvedere unfortunately.

I know some people who are members both of places like Taj Chambers/Belvedere and clubs like the Delhi Gymkhana Club. Most of them hardly use their Delhi Gymkhana Club memberships except when they need to throw parties for low rent people who they do not wish to spend too much on OR when they need to book lawns/halls for their less prosperous contacts.

PS: My favorite people tend to be rich. If you think that makes me shallow - maybe I am. Screw you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home